Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Week 26! (and 2nd trimester screening)

Today begins week 26 of my pregnancy. YAY!!! Things are the same with me....still having aches in my left side under my ribs, still snoring, still having occasional nosebleeds (right nostril only ~ strange), still having occasional headaches, still having minor swelling in my feet and ankles at the end of the day. New this week....sleeping is getting a little uncomfortable. I think part of the problem is that I'm so self-conscious about my snoring, and I'm trying really hard to sleep on my sides and not my back for Zoe's benefit. Also, my back is starting to hurt daily. I've even resorted to taking a heating pad with me to work. What a funny sight! Despite this long list of "ailments", I actually feel pretty good if that makes sense?! I'm up a total of 5.8 lbs. from my pre-preggers weight.

Today we had a subsequent, and final, 2nd trimester screening to look at Zoe's anatomy. Everything looked perfect!! Her heart has all four chambers and looked healthy, her brain is developing properly, and all organs are present and in their proper place.

Zoe this week: our baby girl's eyes are now beginning to open, and she can respond to light. Zoe's brainwave activity is also kicking in at this stage, which means she not only hears noises, but she can also respond to them. Zoe is inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of her lungs. We actually saw her do this during today's ultrasound! It was sooooo cute!!! She did it twice!!

Zoe is approximately 14 inches long (head to heel) and she weighs 1lb. 14 oz. (according to today's ultrasound). She's about the size of an English hothouse cucumber (whatever that is???):

2 comments:

Downsized Attorney said...

HAHA at english hothouse cucumber. Is that bigger or smaller than a regular cucumber? Who comes up with this stuff?

Jenni said...

Awwwwe I remember this week! You should be congratulated! Your baby can now officially survive outside the womb if she were born today. :) Isn't that awesome?

And the flashlight thing. We tested that out once...turned the lights out and shined a flashlight on my belly. It was my hubby's idea. I felt SO bad doing it. I was like "You're going to shine it right in his eyes!!! How would YOU like that?" And nope we never got any jumps or kicks from it. lol.