Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Preparing for Zoe

This weekend was dedicated to "preparing for Zoe." Saturday, Trevor and I attended an all-day "prepared childbirth" course. It felt as though we were in Saturday detention because it was only us, a woman named Julie and our instructor, Joni. I fully expected the class to be much fuller due to the convenience of knocking it all out in one day, but I guess no one wanted to give up their last Saturday before Christmas. The course was insightful, and it gave Trevor and me a lot to think about. Going into the course I was afraid of what I call the "two epis"---episiotomy and epidural. After the course, I'm not as afraid of the epidural; in fact, I fully intend to ask for one if things get too rough. The episiotomy, on the other other, is a different story. It still concerns me. I think I'm going to ask my doctor to let me risk a tear in lieu of the episiotomy unless she thinks I'll tear significantly. According to Joni, most women only tear superficially (I know there are always exceptions to this rule), whereas with the episiotomy the cut is usually much deeper and longer than the tear would've been.

Sunday's classes were much fuller and involved infant care and breastfeeding. These courses overwhelmed me. There is SOOOO much to consider when caring for an infant. Who knew?! I took so many notes; I hope I can remember it all. Breastfeeding seems like a daunting endeavor, but I'm fully committed to giving it my best shot. I hope I'll have great success. I think the toughest part of all of this will be the days I have to go it alone due to Trevor's piloting schedule, but I know it will all work out.

I hope we can figure all of this out. I know we will. I just hope it doesn't take us too long.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I was so scared of the episiotomy, too, but it was not bad at all. I didn't feel anything when it happened (thanks to the epidural), and recovery was pretty easy. I had some stitches and just took ibuprofen for the (minor) pain.

And regarding the epidural, it was seriously my lifesaver. Getting the actual epidural was nothing compared to the contractions, and the relief it offered was incredible. I was able to sleep for two hours before delivery! I felt enough to know when to push, and I could still move my legs, but I felt no pain whatsoever. Amazing.

I know the classes are so overwhelming, but I promise that everything will just click into place once Zoe is here -- instincts just take over! ;)

Sorry -- this comment somehow became a novel, lol. Have a wonderful holiday!

CP said...

It might seem daunting but really, once you are holding your baby it will all kick in, especially since you took notes! our class was so lame so I'mgla yours was full of information!

CP said...

the epidural is amazing you will barely notice it- the IV was a 100 times worse!