Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, December 22, 2008

Good Prenatal Appointment (and a pep talk from Dr. S)

I had a regularly scheduled prenatal appointment this morning. The timing couldn't have been more perfect after my classes this weekend and the sense of fear I was left with. All is well with our baby girl. I'm measuring on target - 31 cm - so she's growing at the right pace. Zoe's heart beat was nice and strong - in the 150s. My blood pressure was great - 102/68. Weight gain is still looking good, but I was astonished by the number on the scale today. Most definitely the absolute most I've weighed in my entire life! But I know the number on the scale will go back down to a more comforting number once Zoe is born, so it's all good.

I told Dr. S that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed after the infant care and breast feeding classes. She agreed that it can seem very daunting when one thinks of ALL the things that go into it, but she encouraged me to take it one moment and one day at a time. She told me her own funny story of taking 20 minutes to change her daughter's diaper the first time. Despite all of her years of delivering babies and caring for expectant and new moms, she had her own struggles. Even after 20 minutes of trembling as she changed the diaper she said it still fell off. LOL. She was just so reassuring and put my mind at ease. With respect to breast feeding, she just told me to stay mentally and emotionally committed to it. I'm feeling a lot better today. I'm just going to keep reminding myself to take it one moment/one feeding at a time. I know I can do this. I will do this. I was just a little overwhelmed. I'm glad Dr. S allowed me to talk through it with her.

1 comment:

CP said...

One moment at a time is excellent avise! Isn't it funny how babies can make successful doctors and attorneys so unsure? You'll be great! If it's hard to breastfeed (it was for me) the nursed gave me something called a nipple shield- I use it every feed. It helps with the sucking reflex and prevents soreness. It's amazing.