Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, October 30, 2008

24 Weeks! (and "growing pains")

Yesterday marked the beginning of my 24th week. Things with me are still largely the same; however, I do have a new symptom that's become bothersome. I have this nagging pain on my left side, about 4 inches below my breast. (Different from the rib pain I've been having) The pain is very localized. Sometimes my skin itches in this area, sometimes it gets a strange burning sensation, but it always aches. Last week there were a couple of times when it hurt just to lean over the sink to wash my face or brush my teeth, and it even hurt if I laughed or coughed. It felt like someone was stabbing me. Not fun! Anyway, I called Dr. S on Friday afternoon and she said I probably have a "hot spot." Apparently this is a growing pain that localizes in one consistent spot. She offered to see me on Monday to make sure everything was okay. I know she probably thinks I'm a total pest and a whiner. Oh well!! I saw Dr. S on Monday and she still thinks it's just a "growing pain." I've come to despise that term! She prodded around the area, but didn't feel anything suspicious. I have another ultrasound scheduled in a couple of weeks with the perinatologist to check Zoe's anatomy one more time. Dr. S is going to have that doc do an ultrasound of the area to make sure nothing is going on internally. Thankfully, the stabbing sensations are gone, but I still have general achiness, itching and burning in the region. Good times! My blood pressure during the visit was good - 116/68 and Zoe's heart beat was nice and strong - 140-150 bpm.

I'm up 1.6 lbs. from my pre-preggers weight, so I'm doing a good job with my weight gain. My appetite is starting to increase a bit, but it's still not out of control. If I could just shake this sweet tooth! I have one extreme craving right now....toasted whole wheat bagels w/ butter and grape jelly. I have one just about every morning. The cashier at the local bagel shop knows my order by heart now - "wheat bagel with butter and jelly, a banana and decaf coffee? Yep!"

Zoe this week: our little angel's brain is growing quickly now. I hope the Lord blesses her with ubber intelligence! :- ) Her taste buds are continuing to develop (yet another reason to kick my sugar habit), and her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree". Her lungs are also producing surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she's born. Zoe's skin is still thin and translucent, and she's still a platinum blond since her hair still lacks pigment. Last, but not least, Zoe's cute little face is almost fully formed. I already know she's going to be gorgeous!

Zoe is growing steadily. Babies are said to gain approximately 6 ounces per week at this point. Zoe is approximately 1 1/2 lbs. and over a foot long (head to heel). She's about the size of an ear of corn:

2 comments:

Jenni said...

You have only gained 1.6 pounds so far? Wow I wish I had been better with my diet while I was pregnant. That is great - you go girl. For reals. Wow. Sorry to hear about the pain in your side though - ugh that sounds awful! Congrats on reaching week 24!! Not too long now and you will be in the 30's and counting down until DDay!

CP said...

I hate all those unexplainable random pregnancy pains. All my dr ever did was say "it's normal" sooo frustrating. I can't believe that you barely gained any weight- wow!