Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, October 10, 2008

21 weeks! (Plus a Prenatal Appointment)

Wednesday marked the start of my 21st week of pregnancy. Time is flying!

I'm feeling pretty good. The round ligament pain is much more manageable now. I guess I'm used to it. My backache has been joined by a pain in my left upper abdomen. The pain is in the same spot front to back. I only have it when I'm sitting, so I'm sure it's related to my posture. The abdominal pain is becoming more bothersome than the back pain. If I press the heel of my hand into my upper left abdomen, just below my ribs, I can alleviate the pain. Very strange, and I can't find anything about this in my pregnancy books or on pregnancy websites.

I had a routine appointment with Dr. S today and we discussed the pain I'm having. She said the only organ in the region of my pain is my pancreas, but she said if it were a pancreatic problem I'd have more symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting, and the pain wouldn't be isolated to when I'm sitting. She said it's probably from all the shifting my body is doing to make way for the baby. My urine came back clean today, but she's going to send it to a lab for further testing to make sure the pain isn't related to my kidneys since I'm simultaneously having pain in my back. If the pain gets worse she said we'll do some blood work to make sure nothing else is going on. Everything else during today's appointment went well. Blood pressure was good (110/72) and no sugar in my urine. Zoe's heartbeat was nice and strong - between 150-160 bpm. My uterus is measuring 20 cm and is just above my belly button.

Zoe this week: our little angel's eyebrows and eyelids are now present. She is swallowing several ounces of amniotic fluid for practice swallowing and digesting; the amniotic fluid also keeps her hydrated and nourished. Zoe's taste buds are well developed now and the amniotic fluid delivers a taste of whatever I've been eating. That means that Zoe has been getting her fill of turkey, bacon, guacamole sandwiches from Quiznos, Baked Lays, miso soup and California rolls. Oh, and cookies. (I'm still trying to kick the habit) I need to start introducing her to some veggies.

Zoe weighs approximately 11 ounces and is approximately 10.5 inches in length (head to heel). She's about the size of a large carrot:

No comments: