Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Second Trimester Screening

Last Friday, we had our second trimester screening done. The screening was largely uneventful, other than finding out we're having a Zoe!!! :- ) But uneventful (i.e., boring) is good for a pregnancy. Everything looked great during the screening. The doctor was able to get a very good view of Zoe's anatomy. All of her vital organs looked perfect! Her heartbeat was nice and strong---150 bpm. We'll go back again in approximately six weeks for another look, but everything looks great. We are so thankful.

I did find out during the screening that I have an anterior placenta, which explains why I haven't been feeling Zoe move. When an egg implants in the uterus it usually implants in the posterior uterus (i.e., back of the uterus). Occasionally, an egg will implant on the front of the uterus. That's what happened in my case. It means absolutely nothing in terms of the health of the pregnancy, but it does mean that I have a barrier between Zoe and my stomach, thus the placenta is cushioning her movements. When she gets a little bigger and her movements become stronger, I'll be able to feel them. Mystery solved.

1 comment:

Balancing Act said...

Yay! I'm just now catching up on the last few posts, but so excited that you're having a girl! Zoe Alexis is a beautiful name. Can't wait to get together for lunch once I start work. Your firm is right across the street from mine I believe. Yay!