Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Incomprehensible

Sunday evening, Trevor and I received news that one of our friends passed away. Her name is Donna. Trevor went to UT with her husband. Donna was only 37. I took the news pretty hard for a few reasons. First, Donna was a remarkable woman. One of the kindest people you'd ever hope to meet. This Earth now has a void that can't be filled. Second, Donna had an amazing story of surviving cancer in her 20s. She was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and won the battle over cancer. Her story was inspiring. She was full of life, happily married, loved the Lord and had a wonderful future ahead of her.

Donna has two children now. They're adorable. Her oldest is 3 years old and the youngest is almost 2 years old. When Donna was pregnant with her youngest she found out she had breast cancer. I was so devastated to hear this news. Cancer, twice, at such a young age. Because Donna was pregnant, it limited the type of treatment should could receive and she was determined not to do anything to harm her baby. She was able to receive radiation treatments and in her third-trimester she had a mastectomy under general anesthesia. After having her baby, she started chemo. I was so hopeful that she would beat cancer once again. Unfortunately, she didn't. Donna passed away on Sunday. Apparently the cancer was too aggressive and spread throughout her body. After the shock wore off, I just cried. I cried for her husband. I can't imagine losing a spouse. I don't know what I'd do if I lost Trevor. I cried for her mother who took care of her baby. I can't imagine being a parent and having to bury your child. I cried for Donna's children. They were robbed of such a wonderful mother. And I cried for Donna. Why did she have to suffer so much? I wondered what her last thoughts were. I know they were of her children. How do you say good-bye? It's incomprehensible. Now that I'm on my journey towards motherhood, I want to be here to see not only Zoe (and any children that follow), but also Zoe's children. I pray for this every night for Trevor and I. I pray for long life for both of us because I want Trevor by my side for every minute of it. I hope my prayers are answered.

I hope Donna's children and husband will be okay. I know they will be. And I hope Donna is at peace. I know she is. I just can't believe she's gone. It was far too soon.

No comments: