Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Second (and Final) Hospital Tour

On Sunday, Trevor and I toured the second hospital where Dr. S has labor and delivery privileges. We liked hospital #1, but weren't sure what we should be looking for in a hospital. Well, I guess you know it when you see it because we really liked hospital #2. I was surprised because hospital #2 is older and I trend towards liking newer, modern things and places, but hospital #2 exceeded my expectations. I can't put my finger on one special thing we liked, but it just felt right. Here are a few things we liked (in no particular order, just as I remember them):

1. A variety of postpartum rooms, especially the availability of suites. We "reserved" a two room, two bathroom suite, but there's no guarantee Baby D will make his/her debut on the requisite day. The likelihood of that happening is slim, so hopefully the suite will be available when I go into labor. Although I'll only be spending 48 hours of my life in the hospital, I appreciate the privacy the suite offers. If I'm breastfeeding Baby D while visitors are present, they can remain in the sitting area while I breastfeed in privacy in the bedroom. Also, if I'm trying to nap and Trevor is trying to watch TV, he can watch TV in the sitting area while I sleep in peace. A nice perk, and it isn't too expensive.

2. Well-stocked "nourishment centers." Hospital #1 only had a coffee/water bar. Hospital #1 has nourishment centers stocked with coffee, water, juice, soda and some food items. All complimentary.

3. Staff OB in the event of an emergency. Apparently there are only a handful of hospitals in the city that offer this service, and hospital #1 isn't one of them. Hospital #2 prides itself on their staff OB because there is someone on hand if a woman needs an emergency C-section or needs to deliver before her own doctor arrives.

4. Brand new nursery that will open later this month.

5. Very impressive neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Hospital #2 has one of the most respected NICUs in the area. We hope Baby D won't have to visit the NICU, but we were impressed with what we heard about hospital #2's NICU and know that Baby D will be in good hands if a NICU stay/visit is necessary.

6. Lactation consultants on staff daily from 8am-5pm. While hospital #2 has lactation consultants, their availability isn't as good. Since I want to breastfeed, I'm glad there will be plenty of support on hand.

7. Dining on demand, and a fancy celebratory dinner for mom and dad. The celebratory dinner can be eaten at anytime from check-in to check-out. Parents' choice. I think this is a nice touch.

We're happy to have something else off our "to do" list.

1 comment:

CP said...

The two room suite sounds amazing! I hated when I had visitors at feeding time and I felt bad having to ask them to leave my room...so the two room deal would be so nice!