Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Boob Woes

Two weeks ago, while nursing Zoe, I found a lump in my right breast. I've had several clogged milk ducts since nursing, but this one was different because it wasn't painful at all. And the lump was rather pronounced. After feeding Zoe, I pumped my breast dry; the lump was still there. The next morning the lump was still present, so I called my gynecologist and got a referral for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. The tests revealed a cyst with a small portion of solid matter in it. I was given the option to "wait and watch it" for a couple of weeks or to have a biopsy via fine needle aspiration (FNA). I chose the latter.

Last Friday, I had the FNA done. Thankfully, the aspiration revealed 100% milk, so the diagnosis was a galactocele, or a milk cyst. I was, and still am, relieved!

Last Friday night/Saturday morning, around 4am, I woke up to intense burning and pain in the area of the biopsy site. There was also a small knot in the area. I woke Zoe up to nurse, which provided some relief. Throughout the weekend I continued to experience pain and discomfort in my right breast so I nursed Zoe and pumped on that side like crazy. Trevor and I returned to the clinic Monday morning to figure out what was going on. It seems that I've developed an infection in breast, so now I'm on antibiotics for 10 days. The doctor said that it is likely that bacteria from Zoe's mouth entered my breast through my nipple, thus causing the infection. What a pain!! (both literally and figuratively)

The things we go through to nourish our little ones. Zoe's worth it though!

2 comments:

Balancing Act said...

Hey! Please send me your email address. We need to communicate! courtneybperez@gmail.com. Glad your boob is going to be ok. LOL! :)

Jenni said...

Oh Wow! I have never heard of a milk cyst. You poor momma. :( I think you did the right thing in getting it all checked out right away - especially just to have some peace of mind. I'm glad that it wasn't anything too serious. I hope the infection goes away soon. I hate being on antibiotics.