Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, June 30, 2008

First Prenatal Appointment

Today was my first prenatal appointment. I have a new doctor because my GYN, whom I love, doesn't deliver babies. :- ( My primary care physician highly recommended the OB I selected, and I'm pleased with my selection. She's an African-American doctor, who happens to be in an all-female, all African-American practice. Very impressive! She has a great bedside manner, and she took the time to answer every question Trevor and I had.

The appointment went pretty well, with the exception of one scare. So Dr. S walks in, introduces herself, and soon after asks how sure I am about the first day of my last period. My response - "absolutely sure." She goes on to explain that the HCG test performed by my primary care physician on June 13 revealed an HCG level that was a bit lower than it should've been if the first day of my last period was May 14. I immediately panic. She gave me an opportunity to use the restroom before she performed an ultrasound to check things out. I took advantage of the opportunity and went in the restroom and prayed. The ultrasound allayed Dr. S's concerns because everything looked like it should. Amniotic sac - check; yolk sac - check; fetal pole - check; heartbeat - check! She said I was measuring about 3 days smaller than my gestational age, again based on the first day of my last period, but she assured me that a 3 day discrepancy wasn't concerning to her.

I have to admit that I'm experiencing a small tinge of concern, but I trust the Lord. We didn't even expect to be pregnant right now, so that tells me that THIS baby is supposed to be here and the Lord has a plan and a purpose for our little one. Amen!

No comments: