Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Daddy

Baby D,

Today I surprised your daddy with the news about you! He was so happy. Keeping this a secret has been so difficult!

Your daddy loves riddles, so I found out things about you in the womb and put together a riddle for him. I waited until after church, but before dinner, and presented him with the following riddle: "What is this thing? It is pear-shaped, often referred to as a miniature manatee, bumpy all over with a small tail, it lives in walls and likes moist, dark places." Your daddy started asking a series of yes/no questions:

"Is it a living thing?" (YES) , "Does it grow in stages? (YES - dang, he knows!) , "Are the walls made of wood?" (UM, POSSIBLY??? - I needed to stump him), "Are the walls made of concrete?" (YES! - I really wanted to stump him)

So after a few minutes of him being perplexed, I told him I needed to look at my clues again to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. While he wasn't looking, I pulled the last "clue" out of my briefcase and hid it behind my back. I audibly ran through the clues again, and then said "oh, I forgot to give you one clue." I walked up to him and handed him the last clue which was a newborn pamper (so small and so cute!) with the digital pregnancy test sticking out of it. Your daddy just looked at me with a perplexed look on his face. He asked "what is this?", and I told him to look closer. He saw the word "Pregnant" in the window of the test and asked if this was for real. When I told him yes, he yelled a loud "YES!", thanked the Lord and then gave me a hug and a kiss. He then bent down and kissed my stomach, said hello to you, and gave you a quick "Hook 'em Horns!" By the way, your daddy already insists that you follow in his foot steps and attend the Univ. of Texas. We'll let you make that choice, but it is a good school. After our joint moment of celebration, I told daddy that the answer to the riddle was on the back of the pamper.

The answer......"Our Baby"

I gave daddy his first Father's Day gift, too. Two bibs that say "I Love My Daddy" (can't wait to see them around your neck!) and a book called "The Expectant Father" so he'll know what's going on with you and me. He loved it! (And he reads the book faithfully....)

This made for a special Father's Day for daddy because this is your Grandpa D's first Father's Day in Heaven. This was the ultimate bright spot in your daddy's day!

The clues explained: pear-shaped and often compared to as a miniature manatee = your shape at 4 weeks, 4 days; bumpy all over = this was the beginning of your arm and leg buds; small tail = formation of your spinal cord; lives in walls = my uterine wall; and moist, dark places = the atmosphere where you're growing. Pretty clever, huh? :- )

Love you, munchkin!

Mommy

1 comment:

Kara - Wife, Momma, Doula said...

This is so beautiful Ricka!!!!!! I am in tears! You both are so special!